Saturday, April 26, 2014

2014 Crazylegs is in the bag

Well, my first race greater than 5k is over and done. And I can't think of a better day for it to happen on. The weather was sunny, cool, and a light breeze. Couldn't have asked for a better day. I spent a bit of time wandering around the farmers market at the square, being tempted by some great looking baked goods. Tried to stay in the sun as best I could, it was still a bit chilly out. I lucked out and was able to park in the ramp right behind Camp Randall, so that was a total bonus (even if it did cost me $10).

Once we were all queued up, the excitement just built. Slowly, we made our way to the start line. As the horn went off for our wave, there were members of the UW Marching Band there, and got a great send off with On Wisconsin. Bucky Badger was there and so were a few of the student athletes. It was a very cool experience. It was a really nice route. From the Capital Square, through the campus, finishing at Camp Randall. How many people can say that they ran out onto the filed...legally. The most challenging part was running up Bascom Hill. That was just after the first mile, and some people just got gassed. It's a pretty tough climb, and just when you think you're at the top, you still have more to go. Then there's going back down. Still haven't figured out how to go down hills gracefully, I kind of flop all over. Some of the route traced where I had my first 5k. With about a mile to go, there was a house, that I guess has been doing this for many years, blaring the Rocky theme. That was pretty cool. And as we got close to the stadium, there were some band members on the balcony of one of the houses across the street from the stadium playing On Wisconsin.

It was really great to see all the support along the route from students, the Madison community, even the cops. The enterance to the stadium was by far the coolest. It's too bad that part went so quick and I coudln't take a picture or anything. To cross the finish line at the 50 yard line was pretty special. I just wanted to stay there and soak it up. It really was a great run, and one that I think I'll keep on my radar for next year. So glad I was able to shake that cold or what ever it was in time to run today!

And the final official results: 42:31, 3127 out of 10409, 295 of 613 men 35-39, and 2357 of 5393 men.

The un-official results with the route









No comments:

Post a Comment