Saturday, June 14, 2014

Do what feels good, not what you feel you have to do

So went on a run today after taking a few days rest. I really had been pushing myself hard, and not doing the right thing and taking care of myself. Sure I was eating good, but I wasn't sleeping well. I wasn't doing anything to manage the pain. So after a couple of days off, I went out on a run today. I set out with no goals, no expectations. When I left the house to run, I told Shelly that I the only thing I was going to focus on was "Do what feels good, not what you feel you need to do". And that's exactly what I did.

I set out on from the park as usual, starting at what ever pace felt comfortable, not rushed. For the first time in what feels like forever, I listened to music as well. It felt good. 75, breezy and sunny. Things felt good. I didn't look at my watch for about the first mile and a half. I figured there was no need to as I still felt fresh. Reached a road that crossed the trail and turned around. Nothing was going to stop me.

As I continued my run back to town, I started thinking about the cyclists doing the Hilly Hundred. For years, I haven't had a good opinion of them. They run stop signs, take up the road and not let vehicles pass. Generally they're rude. I'm sure it's like anything, I've seen the ones that give the rest a bad name. But today, I saw them in a different light. They were out there pushing themselves for 100 miles on some of the hilliest roads in south west Wisconsin. As I got back into town, I ran past some of them while they rested. Wait. You mean these guys are human? They need a break like the rest of us? For all the what ever that they show, they still need to stop and show weakness? Hmmm, maybe they aren't all bad.

It gave me a bit of drive. It kind of lifted me up seeing them push hard. Looked at my watch, around 5 miles. I can do more! I kept going. I decided that when the trail hit the county road, I'd take the road back and make a loop back to the park. This last stretch of the run I was running downhill as the cyclists were going up. I've been shown love by so many people on runs, people who are not running, but show up to support all of us. I decided to do the same for these men and women. Ever little group that passed me, I clapped for. From one athlete to another. I could tell they appriciated it. I got smiles, thank yous and a high five. It felt good. I know when people have done that for me, it's given me that little bit of a boost. I never knew it worked both ways.

Yup. It was a good day. I did something good for myself, and made some people smile.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/607684561

No comments:

Post a Comment