Saturday, June 28, 2014

Wonderful day to run

Today was my second 10k race. This time, Oregon. No, not state. Oregon Wisconsin. Today was their annual Oregon Summer Fest. They have both 10k and 5k races. I really want to work on my 10k time so I can hopefully move up a wave or two in Boulder next year, and just get better at that distance overall.

The weather for today was to be a little on the iffy side. Chance of rain. No rain. Sunny and warm. Already well into the 70s by 9am. Things felt good today. I really felt like I had a good shot at improving my time over BolderBoulder a month ago. And I did! Official time (gun time) 54:46, 31 out of 57, and 11 of 16 in my division of men aged 30-39. For reference, my BB time was 57:34. So close to a 3 minute improvement. And since May, I've only run the distance once or twice before today. A lot of very strong runners out there today, quite a few in high school. The only time anyone ever passed me was just out of the start as we were getting settled in and sorted out. After the first 3/4 mile, no one passed. That's always a good feeling. I don't think I passed anyone either. I was kind of alone, just the way I like it.

Still trying to figure out this eating thing the night before a race. I've done the pasta thing, that did nothing. Sushi and burgers seem to hit the spot. Last night was some amazing ribs, chicken and potato salad.

But today was a success. The next 10k that I know for sure I'll be running is the Berby Derby on Thanksgiving Day. Might sneak one in before then, just have to wait and see what comes my way.

Oh! And speaking of BolderBoulder, my official stat sheet came in the mail today! Another great service included in the registration price. Gotta love those guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment