Sunday, June 8, 2014

Running and running and running....

So I've been a bit like the Energizer Bunny lately. Three back to back days of running. It's been fun. Today's run wasn't the best. My mind was a bit full and thinking of other things other than running, and there were some cyclists who were really not about sharing the trail at all. Less than 200 yards from starting out, they decide to stop right in the middle of the trail. Had to cut onto the grass. Then they started back up again, passed me, but then I actually caught up to some of them. Mirrors on their bikes, but obviously not using them. Riding two or three wide, hardly moving over for oncoming riders. Then I catch back up to them, start to pass and they pick up speed. Either slow or fast people. It was kind of interesting pacing myself with them, as I could keep up, but it also threw me off, and I really burned out after the first 1.5 miles.

I'm like the dog at the track, chasing the bunny. Put something in front of me that's moving, and I want to pass it. I like competition. I like that feeling of catching up, passing, and not seeing them pass me again. So today, even though I was running with people on bicycles, I still had the same mentality. Around 2 miles, I had to slow to a walk. But, after trying to refocus, I was able to pick back up my run, and finished it out strong.

Speaking of finishing strong! I believe I set a new personal record yesterday. 3.02 miles in 23:47 with a 7:52 average mile. I couldn't believe it. The first mile was so strong, I didn't possibly think I could keep it up for 3 miles, but I did. Not once did my average pace go above 8 minutes. I had already run the previous evening, and usually am a lot slower the next day. But I was faster, by nearly 2 minutes. I had thought I'd go more than 3 miles, but things felt so good, I made my turn at 1.5 and came back. I'm glad I did. Why ruin a perfectly good time by trying to extend the distance. If I can do this on a race day, that would be amazing.



So here we are. Just over 9 miles in the last 3 days, and I feel great. So what's next? Well, I have decided to enter into the Milwaukee Brewers 5k sausage race in July, and I've also entered into the Carbone Race for Research 5k. Also on tap is the Haunted Hustle 5k in October. I've also registered for next years BolderBoulder. I think the month of June, is going to just be some running on my own, some more core and cardio work. I might check out a group run I've heard about on Tuesdays through Endurance House. I think it's safe to say, I'm comfortable with 5k distances, and am beginning to like 10k. I'd like to have one more 10k race this year. There's one next weekend, but I'm not sure if I can be fully ready for it (mostly just being mentally ready).

Sitting here on the back deck, umbrella up, Brewer game on in the background, an empty bottle of New Belgium's Summer Helles, I wonder when the day is going to come where every day can be like this. A run in the morning, then working on my plans for the next. I'd like to think that someday it will happen. That someday I can do something amazing enough to be able to earn this as my job? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment